A Security Email Gateway: What Do You Understand About It?
Table of Contents
What Is A Secure Email Gateway?
Secure Email Gateways are tools that detect and prevent email threats. These tools integrate API integrations with cloud email systems and email clients to block and eliminate malicious emails. These tools help protect your company from email scams and other email threats. Many companies now use Secure Email Gateways as an integral part of their email security strategy.
A Secure email gateway security can be installed on-premises or as a cloud service. While it does not host email accounts, it does act as a firewall for mail traffic. This firewall sanitizes incoming and outgoing email and ensures that sensitive confidential information is not transmitted. As email remains the leading form of communication for organizations and cybercriminals, it is important for businesses to protect themselves against this growing threat.
How Does A Secure Email Gateway Work?
Helps Protect Emails
A secure email gateway is a device or software that helps companies protect their emails. It sorts through incoming email messages and blocks emails containing malware or other threats. The software then forwards emails intended for specific recipients. This method protects against zero-day attacks and other threats.
Helps Protect Against Threats
A secure email gateway can also help companies protect themselves against threats by enforcing specific rules about the content of emails. The email security gateway can also analyze all incoming and outgoing emails to flag potentially harmful content. As hackers become increasingly sophisticated, these security features can be of vital importance to an organization’s business.
Can Lock Spam
One of the most critical features of a secure email gateway is the ability to block spam. Spam can be filtered in a variety of ways, but the most basic method involves prefiltering technology. This technology detects links and patterns that are characteristic of spam. In addition, many email clients allow users to flag messages they think are spam and block the sender.
Can Be Deployed On The Premise
A secure email gateway can be deployed on-premise or in the cloud. The deployment type you choose depends on the security needs of your organization, whether you use an on-premise email server or a cloud-based email server. Also, consider whether you’re comfortable with the idea of deploying a secure email gateway in your own data center.
Are Secure Email Gateways Viable?
One of the biggest concerns with email security is the threat of phishing attacks. While built-in security solutions offer some protection against such attacks, they lack the necessary security scanning technology to block all malicious emails. To address this issue, Secure Email Gateways are a viable solution. They can help organizations prevent email-based phishing attacks.
Using an advanced detection technology, a Secure Email Gateway can block any malicious messages that reach a user’s inbox. The technology works by leveraging API integrations with cloud email systems and plug-ins for email clients. By preventing malicious messages from entering the inbox, this technology “claws back” them.
Secure Email Gateways enable organizations to implement robust security features and meet regulatory requirements. In particular, they offer email encryption capabilities, which are important for protecting intellectual property and ensuring regulatory compliance. In fact, more than 50% of organizations leverage Secure Email Gateway capabilities. However, it is important to note that DLP and encryption solutions should work in tandem with each other. An encryption service should offer a variety of encryption options that are easily accessible to end users.
Importance Of Secure Email Gateways
- Secure email gateways are a vital part of email security. They scan all inbound and outbound emails for malicious URLs and attachments. This protects your business from social engineering attacks and business email compromise. Moreover, some systems allow administrators to access quarantined emails in case of an attack.
- A secure email gateway can be a physical device or a software program running on a company’s server. Its job is to sort and categorize incoming emails based on risk levels and forward them to the correct recipients. This way, the gateways prevent unwanted emails from being delivered to the inbox.
- An email gateway must be up-to-date in order to protect your data. Free security software often does not update quickly enough to prevent new threats, and attackers often modify their tactics to avoid detection. Email security gateways that can’t keep up with attackers’ tactics will become ineffective.
- A secure email gateway also protects against spam emails, phishing attacks, and malware. This means that your emails are safe from viruses, hackers, and account takeover attempts. Moreover, a secure email gateway improves employee productivity without sacrificing security. It also improves the security of your email system and increases employee satisfaction.
- A secure email gateway offers many complementary security features, including email encryption, sandboxing, DLP, continuity, and archiving. According to Statista, around 3.8 billion people use email today, and millions of companies use email to exchange information and organize routines. As a result, a secure email gateway has become an essential tool in email security.
Also, Read About: What Is Opt-in Email Marketing Used For?
Email security gateways come in a variety of flavors and costs, depending on the level of security required for your business. A free option might be available, but it may not be sufficient for some businesses. Free gateways often don’t update quickly enough to keep up with evolving threats. Likewise, free products are often outdated, making them useless for protecting sensitive information.